The Women's Cell at CSIR- NCL is functional in accordance with the Central Civil Services (Conduct) Rules 1964 and Classification, Control and Appeal Rules, 1965 and its various amendments including dated 02.02.2015 available on the DOPT’s website (http://persmin.gov.in/dopt.asp).
The sexual harassment of women at workplace (Prevention, Prohibition and Redressal) Act provides the protection against sexual harassment of women at workplace and for the prevention and redressal of the complaints of sexual harassment and for the matters connected with it.Sexual harassment is a violation of fundamental rights of a woman to equality, to life and to live with dignity which also includes a right to a safe environment free from sexual harassment.
The definition of Sexual harassment includes all kinds of offensive, hostile, intimidating, humiliating and exploitative language, gestures and conduct.
Do's and Dont's
- Don't feel a sense of shame. Tell the harasser very clearly that you find this behavior offensive.
- Don't ignore the harassment in the hope that it will stop on its own; come forward and complain.
- Talk to somebody you trust about the harassment. It will not only give you strength, but also help others to come forward and complain.
- Keep a detailed record of all incidents related to the sexual harassment. If you feel the need to register a formal complaint later, this record will be helpful.
- Most importantly, the victim must never blame herself for the harassment.
- Telling the perpetrator to stop harassing in clear words.
- Telling the perpetrator verbally to stop harassing do not succeed, the victim can lodge a complaint through an email or by a telephone call to any of the members of the Women’s Cell.
- The complainant's name and identity will be kept confidential.
- After it has been proved that the offender has indulged in sexual harassment, appropriate punitive action will be taken against him, irrespective of his status in the institute- whether staff, faculty or student.
- Only victim or her heir can file the complaint
- The victim can contact the Women Cell members.